Software Developer (Internal Systems)
- Location - Houston, TX
- Type - Regular, full time
- Pay Rate - Commensurate with experience
- Travel - Periodic local and overnight travel
With over two decades of growth and experience under our belts, cPanel knows our industry and we’re looking for more people who are spirited, intelligent, friendly and innovative to help us create more amazing things. We are a tight-knit team that constantly encourages and challenges each other, and above all of that, we sincerely believe in the value of the work that we do.
Because cPanel management cares deeply about helping our employees thrive we offer:
About the role:
- A workplace committed to the cPanel's core values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Follow-Through
- Robust development teams that are practicing Agile Scrum and have everything you need to take a project from start to finish: Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, QA, and Documentation writers all working with the same end goal.
- A mid-sized company where your success will have a real impact on the company’s success
- Free catered onsite lunch every day, snacks, a gym, a flexible work schedule, and all the caffeine you can handle.
- A dog-friendly office
- Investments in our people by providing professional trainings, lunch and learns, conferences, and college reimbursement
- 1st class work environment utilizing a pod concept: each team has a centralized collaboration area surrounded by a private office for each team member.
- Fantastic coworkers passionate about creating great software.
- An open door policy to come by and talk about professional topics, or just chit chat while you work through an issue.
The Software Developer II (Internal Systems) is responsible for using Perl to develop, implement, and maintain internal and external software products by performing the duties outlined below:
The Mission (what you'll be responsible for):
The Tools (what knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences we're looking for)
- Refactors, optimizes, and maintains existing software to perform more efficiently or to work within new constraints
- Creates new software used to support, distribute or maintain cPanel products.
- Performs testing and debugging to identify and resolve problems in existing systems.
- Participates in code reviews and assists other team members with support and analysis of external and internal systems.
- Establishes and maintains development standards and best practices for the Internal Development Department
- Contributes knowledge from personal analysis to company databases.
- Develops and adheres to coding and development standards and practices provided by cPanel.
- Prepares ad hoc reports for management and company executives.
- Exemplifies the cPanel Core Values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration and Follow-Through
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the company.
- Technical skills -
Education/Experience - B.A./B.S. or equivalent experience in lieu of degree.
- Strong understanding of Perl
- Working knowledge of Python or PHP
- Extensive experience with Linux, and some underlying components and hosting related services such as Web Servers (Apache, Tux, Lighttpd, etc), Mail Servers (Exim, Sendmail, etc.), DNS Servers (BIND, NSD, etc.), and Linux Filesystem and volume management
- Familiarity with SQL and relational database design, create new queries and analyze existing SQL queries for performance improvements
- 3 years of professional experience in Perl
- Some experience in Python, or PHP development environment
- Extensive experience in Linux system troubleshooting
- Agile and Scrum Knowledge - able to work as part of a team that utilizes the Agile and Scrum methodology to manage the software development process.
- Travel - Occasional local and overnight travel
- Project Management skills - able to perform all aspects of software development life cycle, including requirements, development, quality assurance, and documentation
- Oral Communication - able to speak clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations
- Written Communication - able to communicate effectively in all written work, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Time Management - able to use time effectively in an unsupervised fashion; able to complete projects in a timely manner
- Planning/Organizing skills - able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through large projects in a self-motivated manner
- Adaptability - able to adapt to changes in the work environment and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Computer Knowledge - strong knowledge of word processing software; strong knowledge of electronic communication systems; able to navigate the internet.
- Problem Solving Skills - able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgment on a regular basis in making decisions.
- Interpersonal Skills - able to interact with co-workers and customers in a professional and effective manner.
In return for all the above, we offer the following:
- Competitive Salary
- Full Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account
- Free on-site lunch
- Paid Vacation
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Casual Working Environment
- 401K Matching
If this description fits you, apply below. It's relatively easy and painless.
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees.
cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.