The Perl Developer is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining internal and external software products by performing the duties outlined below:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Refactors, optimizes, and maintains existing software to perform more efficiently or to work within new constraints
- Creates new software used to support, distribute or maintain cPanel products
- Performs basic testing and debugging to identify and resolve problems in existing system
- Participates in code reviews
- Contributes knowledge from personal analysis to company databases
- Exemplifies the Core Values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration and Follow-through
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the company
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Adheres to coding and development standards and practices provided by cPanel
- Prepares reports for management and company executives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Project Management skills - able to perform all aspects of software development life cycle, including requirements, development, quality assurance, and documentation.
- Agile Scrum Knowledge - able to work as part of a team that utilizes the Agile Scrum methodology to manage the software development process.
- Oral Communication - able to speak clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication - able to communicate effectively in all written work, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Time Management - able to use time effectively under limited supervision; able to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Planning/Organizing Skills - able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through projects and tasks in a self-motivated manner.
- Adaptability - able to adapt to changes in the work environment and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Computer Knowledge - strong knowledge of word processing software; strong knowledge of electronic communication systems; able to navigate the internet.
- Problem Solving Skills - able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgment on regular basis in making decisions.
- Interpersonal Skills - able to interact with co-workers and customers in a professional and effective manner.
- Technical skills -
- Working knowledge of Perl including: CGI, DBI, Object Oriented Programming, Perl best practices
- Familiar with Linux, underlying components and hosting related services such as: Web Servers (Apache, Tux, Lighttpd, etc), Mail Servers (Exim, Sendmail, etc.), DNS Servers (BIND, NSD, etc.), understanding of Linux Filesystem and volume management
- Familiar with SQL and relational database design
- Familiarity with PHP
- Education/Experience - High School diploma or equivalent
- Zero or more years of Linux system troubleshooting or a related certification (RHCE)
- Zero or more years of Perl development experience
- Travel - Occasional local and overnight travel may be required, some by interstate air
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Ability to work in an office environment. Specific abilities required by this job include: Near vision; hearing; ability to transport oneself as needed throughout the day; ability to sit and use computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal, for extended periods of time; manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination); repetitive arm/ hand movements
- cPanel is a 24/7 operation and nontraditional or extended hours (including weekends) are require
- Full Health, Vision, and Dental
- 401K Matching
- Flex PTO
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Hybrid, Remote, and On-Site Work Schedules
- Casual Work Environment
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees.
cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.