Location Houston, TX
Type Regular, Full Time
Pay rate Commensurate with experience
Travel Periodic local and overnight travel
With over two decades of growth and experience under our belts, cPanel knows our industry and we’re looking for more people who are spirited, intelligent, friendly and innovative to help us create more amazing things. We are a tight-knit team that constantly encourages and challenges each other, and above all of that, we sincerely believe in the value of the work that we do.
Because cPanel management cares deeply about helping our employees thrive, we offer:
- A workplace committed to the cPanel's core values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Follow-Through
- Robust development teams that are practicing Agile Scrum and have everything you need to take a project from start to finish: Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, QA, and Documentation writers all working with the same end goal.
- A mid-sized company where your success will have a real impact on the company’s success
- Free catered onsite lunch every day, snacks, a gym, a flexible work schedule, and all the caffeine you can handle.
- A dog-friendly office
- Investments in our people by providing professional training, lunch and learns, conferences, and college reimbursement
- First-class work environment utilizing a pod concept: each team has a centralized collaboration area surrounded by a private office for each team member.
- Fantastic coworkers, passionate about creating great software.
- An open-door policy to come by and talk about professional topics or just chit chat while you work through an issue.
About the role:
The Systems Administrator role is responsible for the planning, implementation, and maintenance of servers, networks, and other information technology infrastructure. The successful candidate will also be responsible for communicating with stakeholders and ensuring overall uptime and resilience of cPanel operations.
The Tools (what knowledge, skills, abilities & experiences we're looking for)
- Independently investigates and resolves issues with servers and other infrastructure as reported through the company's ticketing system in a timely, and communicative manner
- Designs and deploys new infrastructure, and performs upgrades to systems consistent with established procedures
- In collaboration with Operations Support Owner, establishes standard processes and procedures for the Systems Administration team
- Responsible for designing, implementing and testing backup solutions
- Collaborates with Systems Engineering Department to ensure system uptime, failover, and automation
- Updates system automation per standards prepared by the Systems Engineering Department
- Writes and maintains scripts to help Systems Administration team operate more effectively and efficiently
- Architects, deploys and maintains networks, LAN/WAN infrastructure and related hardware and software
- Use best common practices to maintain the integrity of the network, server deployment, and security
- Coordinate with Security Team to implement and manage security policies, firewall rules, and ACLs
- Interfaces with network vendors to identify new features and technologies, validate support contracts, and maintain network equipment patches
- Maintaining up to date documentation of the entire network, creates and enforces related standards.
- Participates effectively in a team on-call rotation requiring coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Provide mentorship to Systems Administrator I and IIs
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the company
- Exemplifies the Core Values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Follow-through
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 5-8 years Systems Administration and Linux experience
- CCNP or equivalent certification preferred
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Technical Skills:
- Expert knowledge of *nix / Linux administration experience: Linux, Apache, MySQL, Firewalls (iptables), VPN
- Expert knowledge of server hardware and configuration.
- Expert knowledge of virtualization platforms such as EX2, VMware, or Xen, KVM
- Advanced knowledge of routing and switching across datacenter and office networks.
- Experienced with Cisco, Arista, Juniper and other network devices.
- Working knowledge of routing protocols including BGP, OSPF, and EIGRP.
- Working knowledge of overlay and SDN networking, i.e. VXLAN.
- Strong working knowledge scripting languages commonly used in systems administration: Shell scripting (bash, sh, tcsh), Perl
- Strong working knowledge of automating system deployment and maintenance using Puppet, Chef, or similar automation tools
- Oral Communication - able to speak clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations to employees and customers
- Written Communication - able to communicate effectively in all written work, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Time Management - able to use time effectively in an unsupervised fashion, pursuing other activities when regular duties have reduced volume; able to complete projects in a timely manner
- Planning/Organizing skills - able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through large projects in a self-motivated manner
- Adaptability - able to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Problem-solving skills - able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgment on a regular basis in making decisions
- Interpersonal skills - able to interact with co-workers in a professional and effective manner
- Schedule Flexibility - able to be on call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and work occasional nights and weekends in order to perform specific tasks
- Travel - Periodic local and overnight travel, some by interstate air, will be required. Ability to transport oneself to the site in the event of systems disruption is required. Work Environment and Physical Demands
In return for all the above, we offer the following:
- Competitive Salary
- Full Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account
- Free on-site lunch
- Paid Vacation
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Casual Working Environment
- 401K Matching
If this description fits you, apply below. It's relatively easy and painless.
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees. cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS-related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.