Software Developer (Internal Systems)
Location Houston, TX
Type Regular, Full Time
Pay rate Commensurate with experience
Travel Periodic local and overnight travel
Spirited, intelligent, quirky, friendly, adventurous - cPanel employees have been called all of these things, but with our varied skill sets and personalities, we defy labels. We are a tight-knit team that constantly challenges and encourages one another. Best of all, we sincerely believe in the value of the work that we do. And with 20 years under our belts — we’re not looking to slow down anytime soon. At cPanel your achievements will have a real impact on the company's success. Sound like this could be you? Read on.
cPanel management cares deeply about helping our employees thrive. We offer:
- A workplace committed to the cPanel's core values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Follow-Through
- Robust development and operations teams practicing Agile methodologies.
- Free catered onsite lunch every day.
- Professional training, lunch and learns, conferences, and tuition reimbursement
- A 1st class work environment utilizing the pod concept. Each team has a centralized collaboration area surrounded by a private office for each team member.
- Free 1st class onsite gym
- Flexible work schedules
- Fantastic coworkers who are passionate about creating and delivering great software.
About the role:
The Software Developer I (Internal Systems) is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining internal and external software products by performing the duties outlined below:
The Mission (what you'll be responsible for):
- Refactors, optimizes, and maintains existing software to perform more efficiently or to work within new constraints.
- Creates new software used to support, distribute or maintain cPanel products.
- Performs testing and debugging to identify and resolve problems in existing systems.
- Participates in code reviews and assists other team members with support and analysis of external and internal systems.
- Contributes knowledge from personal analysis to company databases.
- Adheres to coding and development standards and practices provided by cPanel.
- Prepares ad hoc reports for management and company executives.
- Exemplifies the cPanel Core Values of Integrity, Respect, Collaboration and Follow-Through
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the company.
The Tools (what knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences we're looking for)
- Technical skills -
- Working knowledge of Perl, Python, or PHP
- Familiarity with Linux, and some underlying components and hosting related services such as Web Servers (Apache, Tux, Lighttpd, etc), Mail Servers (Exim, Sendmail, etc.), DNS Servers (BIND, NSD, etc.), and Linux Filesystem and volume management
- Familiarity with SQL and relational database design
- Education/Experience - High School diploma or equivalent
- Experience in a Perl, Python, or PHP development environment
- Experience in Linux system troubleshooting
- Agile and Scrum Knowledge - able to work as part of a team that utilizes the Agile and Scrum methodology to manage the software development process.
- Travel - Occasional local and overnight travel
- Project Management skills - able to perform all aspects of software development life cycle, including requirements, development, quality assurance, and documentation
- Oral Communication - able to speak clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations
- Written Communication - able to communicate effectively in all written work, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Time Management - able to use time effectively in an unsupervised fashion; able to complete projects in a timely manner
- Planning/Organizing skills - able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through large projects in a self-motivated manner
- Adaptability - able to adapt to changes in the work environment and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Computer Knowledge - strong knowledge of word processing software; strong knowledge of electronic communication systems; able to navigate the internet.
- Problem Solving Skills - able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgment on a regular basis in making decisions.
- Interpersonal Skills - able to interact with co-workers and customers in a professional and effective manner.
In return for all the above, we offer the following:
Full Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
Flexible Spending Account
Free on-site lunch
Casual Working Environment
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees.
cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.
If this description fits you, apply below. It's relatively easy and painless.