Location Houston, TX
Type Regular, Full Time
Pay rate Commensurate with experience
Travel Periodic local and overnight travel
The DevOps Engineer develops tools, processes and procedures in support of our Software Developer and Sysadmin teams.
Here's what the role entails
- You will configure and perform initial deployments for Linux based production systems and services for new and existing projects.
- You will work closely with Software Developers in defining system architecture and services for our applications.
- You will work closely with our Sysadmins to define processes and procedures that allow them to monitor and ensure the stability, security and availability for our applications.
Here are the abilities, skills, and experience you need to have in return for all the above, we offer the following:
- Work with members of the Internal Development team to understand requirements for development, testing, staging, and production tiers for new and existing applications.
- Automate system and application deployment using Puppet.
- Develop, configure, and maintain system and application monitoring using Nagios, collectd and other in-house tools.
- Work with Developers, Sysadmins, and Technical Writers to define system and level support documentation.
- Perform periodic infrastructure audits to ensure proper monitoring and failover are in place and functioning for all systems.
- Manage and develop tools for managing Xen virtualization
In return for all the above, we offer the following:
- Technical Skills -
- Advanced *nix / Linux administration experience: Linux, Apache, MySQL, Firewalls (iptables)
- Strong working knowledge and demonstrated ability with Perl, Ruby, Python, or similar scripting languages
- Strong working knowledge of automating system deployment and maintenance using Puppet, Chef, or similar automation tools.
- Experience with writing monitoring tests to use with Nagios or other monitoring software
- Experience working with virtualization platform, say, EC2, VMware, or Xen.
- Iterative Development - Comfort with Scrum, or other agile methodologies is a plus
- Communication skills - able to effectively transfer thoughts and express ideas written or verbally in individual or group situations; presents oneself clearly and articulately when speaking; checks for understanding
- Problem Solving skills - able to take a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation at hand by drawing on one’s knowledge and experience bases
- Time Management - able to manage work time in such a manner that ensures the accomplishment of specific objectives; sets priorities, goals, and timetables to achieve maximum productivity
- Attention to Detail - able to accomplish a task with concern for all the areas involved, carefully monitoring the detail and quality of own work
- Results Oriented - has a concern for achieving or surpassing results against an internal or external standard or objective
- Interpersonal skills - able to get along with others effectively
- Conflict resolution - able to bring disagreements into the open and attempts to manage them collaboratively
- Travel - Occasional overnight travel
- Education/Experience - High school diploma or equivalent
- Five years of Systems Administration experience
- Two years of software development or automation experience
- Competitive Salary
- Full Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account
- Free on-site lunch
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Casual Working Environment
- 401K Matching
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees.
cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.
If this description fits you, apply below. It's relatively easy and painless.