User Interface Designer
|Title:||User Interface Designer|
Openings available at all levels with two or more years of experience.
Location: Houston, Texas
At cPanel, our designers are a breed apart. They are a hybrid between technical guru and artist, passionate about providing cPanel customers with easy-to-use visually pleasing applications. We’re looking for an innovative User Interface Designer who can help us create great user interfaces in a team development environment.
These are the essential duties for which you’ll be responsible
- Creating, refining, and reworking current interfaces within cPanel’s software product to:
- Improve the usability of the user interfaces.
- Improve the learnability of the user interfaces.
- Improve the visual appeal of the user interfaces.
- Performing product maintenance and tasks related to new features for cPanel’s software products.
- Interacting with multiple individuals including but not limited to developers, user interface developers, technical writers, and project managers.
- Gathering feedback from end users, colleagues, domain experts and incorporating agreed upon changes into maintenance cases or developed features.
- Participating in user testing efforts for specific feature or interfaces.
- Reviewing specific user interfaces for compliance with the current style guides, for usability concerns and for visual appeal.
- Making contributions to the current style guide.
- Managing individually assigned tasks and projects under general supervision of designated supervisor, team lead, scrum master or technical mentor.
- Creating layouts, graphics, icons, content, and code for cPanel products and systems.
- Participating in group discussions and efforts related to projects and tasks.
- Developing methods for the presentations of data, text, graphics, error messages that result in an improved end user experience.
- Creating wire-frames, mockups, prototypes, interactive mockups, and personas as needed for projects and maintenance tasks.
- Responsible for reporting product deficiencies or areas of improvement for cPanel software and products.
- Facilitating discussions and knowledge sharing through contributions to company databases and other forms of communication including the articles for the department wiki, changes and improvements to the style guide and other similar activities.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the company.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares reports for manager, team lead, scrum masters or supervisors.
These are the skills, requirements, and experience that we require
- Teamwork Skills - able to interact with co-workers, teams, supervisors and manager in professional and effective manner.
- Creative Ability - able to generate new and unique design concepts.
- Attention to Detail - able to accomplish tasks accurately with concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small.
- Oral Communication - able to speak clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication - able to communicate effectively in all written work, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Time Management - able to use time effectively under limited supervision; able to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Planning/Organizing Skills - able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through projects and tasks in a self-motivated manner.
- Adaptability - able to adapt to changes in the work environment and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Computer knowledge - knowledge of the internet, computers, operating systems, code editors, source control and bug tracking software.
- Problem solving skills - able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgment on regular basis in making decisions.
- Technical skills - User Interface Designers should have a demonstrable competence with the following:
- Awareness of user-centered design process and methods.
- Working knowledge of form design and user interaction patterns.
- Basic knowledge of tools used to create code for cPanel products (PHP, Template Toolkit, YUI development library, JQuery, AJAX)
- Intermediate knowledge of graphic design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks or similar.
- Familiarity with one or more code editing tools such as TextMate, Sublime Text or similar tools.
- Working knowledge of general web hosting principles and practices. (Bandwidth, FTP, Domains/Sub-domains, System Administration)
- Familiarity with the cPanel User Interfaces or a competitor's product.
- Experience with fluid design principles.
- Experience with localization and globalization of user interfaces.
- Working knowledge of SCRUM and Agile software development systems.
- Working knowledge of GIT or a similar source code repository.
- Working knowledge of Fogbugz or similar bug tracking software.
- Education/Experience - High School degree or equivalent.
- Two or more years of HTML and CSS coding experience (fluid design and understanding of the DOM)
- Two years of Graphic Design experience (Logos, Flyers, Brochures, and Icons)
- Two or more years of User Interface Design, User Experience Design, Human Factors Design, or related field.
- Travel - Occasional local and overnight travel may be required.
Candidates must have a portfolio of sites, designs and design notes! Please do not submit a resume without being able to demonstrate current skills through online portfolio.
In return for all the above, we offer the following:
Full Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
Flexible Spending Account
Free on-site lunch
Paid Time Off
Casual Working Environment
At our company, we take great pride in our diverse and talented workforce. We recognize that our continued success as a company depends largely on the collective strengths of our employees.
cPanel provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related) or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Privacy is taken seriously at cPanel, Inc. Information submitted is kept internally and not shared with third parties.
If this description fits you, apply below. It's relatively easy and painless.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications